[sustran] Re: Negative thoughts on metro

Paula Negron Poblete negronpp at MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Tue Mar 14 03:49:58 JST 2000

Concerning J.H. Crawford's questions about Mexico city's metro, I have
some answers. First of all, the cost. A ride costs  about 0.15 USD (1.5
pesos), which is too low to allow to cover operating and adminnistrative
costs (this costs are subsidized approximatively in 20%); but to rise
this cost can be difficult, because a lot of people have a very low
salary. In 1995, around 79% of the population of the Federal District
(that's the main city) had an income between 1 and 3 minimums salaries
(approx. 350 USD per month). Another problems concerns the aportaion of
the metro in total travelling; even if the metro allows to move a lot of
people, many of traveling made by metro are connected to another mean of
transport, primary the microbuses. This situation makes that even if the
metro carries more than 4 million people every day, the microbuses carry
more than 16 million people! This is because the poorest people live in
the periphery of the city, where there is no metro, so they have to use
the microbuses.