[sustran] motor vehicle inspection syste

roberto evangelio rocae at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 10 16:04:22 JST 2000

dear guys,

We national Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) received a proposal
from a private entity to finance and build a Motor Vehicle Inspection System
(MVIS) nationwide under a Built-Own-Operate (BOO)scheme. This variance is
allowed in The Philippines under its BOT Law.

By the way, the MVIS is used as a test center for vehicle worthiness,
including vehicle emmision before it can be registered. Although it is not
strictly implemented here (as far as i know).

At present, the government has built 5 (im not sure of the number) MVIS
station. Our position then is to allow private sector to handle the testing
through accreditation. That means allowing any existing or even new repair
shop to test any vehicle for registration. In this way, we will encourage
competition and hopefully reduce the cost. Of course, we have to set up
standards for these private entities to follow.

Im afraid that the impact of the new proposal is a virtual monopoly of the
service and therefore may be costly for vehicle owners.

Anyway, my concern is that this group may have an information on the current
practice in other countries, which we can use as a pattern.

Any feedback is most welcome

thanks

obet evangelio