Negative thoughts on metro in general (and on from there)

Duarte Rosa Filho duarterf at ez-poa.com.br
Fri Mar 10 09:49:55 JST 2000

Greetings from Brazil.
There is an article "A systematic review of busways", by David R.
Martinelli, published in the Journal of Transportation Engineering, ASCE,
Vol. 122, N0. 3, May/June 1996, p. 192 - 199.
It says: “Somewhat surprisingly, given the clear-cut advantages of bus rapid
transit in most situation, and the extensive scholarly literature
documenting these advantages, alternatives analyses comparing exclusive
busways and rail rapid transit for particular metropolitan areas typically
find that total system cost, and, in some instances, even the capital costs,
of light and heavy rail systems, are less than those of comparable exclusive
busway systems. This outcome, which has become more difficult to achieve
increasing federal oversight of the “Alternative Analysis” process, can
usually be explained by a prior commitment to rail and a willingness to
“cook the numbers” until they yield the desired result.”
It is an excellent paper which brings a lot of light into the subject being
discussed.
Cheers,
Duarte