[sustran] Re: Negative thoughts on metro in general

Car Busters carbusters at ecn.cz
Tue Mar 7 07:20:58 JST 2000

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I wasn't suggesting the dissolution of
existing metro systems. Talk of "limiting metro" was as close as I
got, which meant that we shouldn't just assume metro should be
expanded, when, for example in Budapest, trams could do the job for
one-tenth the cost. Of course megacities need metro, but the trend
toward megacities and the depopulation of the countryside hasn't
exactly been an ecologically sound trend either. In fact megacities
haven't existed for more than 100 years or so anyway. But yes, we all
have to deal with the practicalities of the present, I know.

Further comments can be sent off the list, since people are probably
getting tired of this discussion.

Randy Ghent

CAR BUSTERS Magazine and Resource Centre
Kratka 26, 100 00 Praha 10, Czech Republic
Tel: +(420) 2-781-08-49 ; Fax: +(420) 2-781-67-27
<carbusters at ecn.cz> <www.antenna.nl/eyfa/cb>