[sustran] Community Action Guide to transport

SUSTRAN Network Secretariat sustran at po.jaring.my
Sun Mar 5 22:18:32 JST 2000

The SUSTRAN Network's new Community Action Guide, entitled "Taking Steps"
has just been published.

PLEASE CONTACT THE SUSTRAN NETWORK SECRETARIAT (sustran at po.jaring.my) FOR
DETAILS ON HOW TO ORDER.

The SUSTRAN Network runs on a tiny budget but we are able to provide a very
limited number of free copies to non-profit organisations who cannot afford
to pay. For all others, the minimum contribution per copy is RM 30 (inside
Malaysia) or US$ 15 (from outside Malaysia). These contributions include
the cost of postage and handling.

This 120-page book provides a reference and guide to people-centred,
equitable and sustainable urban transport. It is written especially to
demystify urban transport issues for non-experts. The focus is on
developing countries, especially in Asia.

It includes introductions to:
*   Why we should worry about urban transport
*   Basic principles of people-centred, equitable and
     sustainable transport
*   What is happening in Asian urban transport
*   How we can move towards better urban transport (with examples)
*   What we can do (as communities, organisations, businesses
     and individuals)
*   Tools for action (A to Z of transport terms, directory of
     contacts, lists of readings and web resources)

The production of the Community Action Guide was made possible by a grant
from the Royal Netherlands Embassy in Kuala Lumpur.

A. Rahman Paul BARTER
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia
and the Pacific (the SUSTRAN Network)
P.O. Box 11501, Kuala Lumpur 50748, Malaysia.
E-mail: sustran at po.jaring.my

Ask about our SUSTRAN NEWS FLASHES - news updates on
people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport
with a focus on countries in the global 'South'.