[sustran] World Car-Free Day (Re: Brainpower needed)

Car Busters carbusters at ecn.cz
Sat Mar 4 06:07:01 JST 2000

Just a footnote to Debbie's message of this morning:

People seem to like "World Car-Free Day" as the name. This also allows
us to piggy-back onto, and expand upon, the European-wide car-free day
set for September 22. Only, based on the information in Eric's report
"Thursday: Breakthrough Strategies for Reducing Car Dependence in
Cities" (see www.ecoplan.org), we think that Thursday, September 21
would be much better than a Friday event (as many people will skip
work or start weekend trip early, etc., to avoid changing their travel
habits, and thus not see the potential of an urban landscape
transformed). So we propose this name and this date, but would be
grateful for all comments, positive or negative. The next issue of Car
Busters magazine, to be released in one month, will expand on the
idea, based on all comments received. Also, we have a volunteer
graphic artist from Finland here until mid-April who will assist us
with posters and a web site for this event (and to improve our
terribly ugly and unuseful existing site).

The next few steps are to (1.) finalise the wording of what the
proposal of this World Car-Free Day actually is, (2.) get groups
around the world to sign on as interested in doing something locally,
and then (3.) use all throw ideas off each other (we could use our
traffic-L at eyfa.org listserve or another) to further develop the idea
and plan of action.

Best wishes,

Randy Ghent

CAR BUSTERS Magazine and Resource Centre
Kratka 26, 100 00 Praha 10, Czech Republic
Tel: +(420) 2-781-08-49 ; Fax: +(420) 2-781-67-27
<carbusters at ecn.cz> <www.antenna.nl/eyfa/cb>