[sustran] fwd: Developments in Shanghai

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Thu Jun 29 18:11:01 JST 2000

Gleaned this from the June 2000 Newsletter of the Institute for Sustainable
Futures, University of Technology, Sydney.
--------------------

Developments in Shanghai

My third trip to China and first to Shanghai really brought home to me the
huge environmental impact China will have on Planet Earth. Shanghai is
truly one of the great cities of the world. Both sustainable and
unsustainable developments coexist. The city has incredibly rapid and
impressive constructions in its new zone, Pudong, while it maintains much
of the history, culture and architectural diversity of the old city, Puxi.

Joining the two zones is a new east-west Metro (subway) line, supplementing
the existing north-south line. Soon the new line will link the city's two
international airports. But, as in Australia, the silly aspects of
competition rule. The two Metro lines have different ticketing systems and,
where they intersect under Peoples' Park in the city centre, essentially
separate stations.

At the very impressive Urban Planning Exhibition, which is currently open
to the public in Shanghai, it is announced that Shanghai is planning to
expand the number of its Metro lines to 12, plus several light rail lines.
However, the proposed time scale and methods of financing these
developments are unclear. Cleaning up the city's air and water is also
mentioned in several displays.  ( Mark Diesendorf )

If you would like to see a complete copy of our June Newsletter - with
information concerning Recent Events, Overseas Trips, Recent new Staff
appointments, Recent Staff Departures, New PhD students and Visitors to ISF
(and some pretty pictures) please see the ISF website -
http://www.isf.uts.edu.au  - in about a week's time!  Thank you.

Val Carey, Institute for Sustainable Futures, UTS, PO Box 123, Broadway
NSW 2007, Tel:  61 2 9209 4355, Fax:  61 2 9209 4351, E-mail: isf at uts.edu.au

Distributed for the purpose of education and research.

A. Rahman Paul BARTER
SUSTRAN Resource Centre
Information services for the Sustainable Transport Action Network
for Asia and the Pacific (the SUSTRAN Network)
sustran at po.jaring.my,  http://www.malaysiakini.com/sustran