[sustran] fwd: Cycling targets request

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Mon Jul 31 10:08:24 JST 2000

From: Oliver Hatch <oh at velo-city.org>
Subject: Cycling targets *important*3
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:26:01 +0100

Dear colleagues,
As you may know, in the final session of the recent Velo-Mondial cycle
conference in Amsterdam, a document called 'The Amsterdam Declaration' was
adopted. Among other things, it contains a number of targets. Two of these
targets concern the adoption of cycle master-plans and the number of
all-party or intergroups on cycling in national governments.

The new Velo-Mondial secretariat has the task to help reach these targets. I
have two important questions for you below, and would very much value your
answers as a help in taking these targets forward. I have tried to send this
e-mail as widely as possible, but may well have missed countries parts of
the world, especially in Aisa and South America. If you know of any other
people, group, or institution that could help us to get accurate answers to
the two questions below, could you please forward this e-mail to them,
asking them to respond to me in London.

CYCLE MASTER-PLANS
The Amsterdam declaration calls on 'governments and institutions to draw up
national cycling master-plans which would contain targets of increased cycle
use to be reached by the year 2010'. These plans would define policies to
increase cycle use, stimulate the relevant authorities to work on this, and
provide support and funding to deliver the increase in usage. Our target is
to help get 25 countries with cycling master-plans by the year 2005. In
order to accurately assess our progress, we need to have a definitive number
of national master-plans that already exist. From my information, the
following countries ALREADY have a cycling master-plan:
Australia, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, UK, USA.

QUESTION 1. Apart from the five countries listed above, are there any other
countries in the world which have a national cycle master-plan, and if so
could you please inform me. If you have a contact name and details of the
person involved, I would be happy to have that as well.

-------------------------------------
CYCLING ALL-PARTY / INTERGROUPS IN NATIONAL PARLIAMENTS
Many national parliaments already have all-party groups of elected
representatives in them who are dedicated to promoting the use of the
bicycle in non party-political terms. These have been successful in raising
the profile of cycling and putting pressure on governments to do more for
cycling. Our target is to help get 25 countries with cycling all-party or
intergroups in national parliaments by the year 2005. In order to accurately
assess our progress, we need to have a definitive number of these groups
that already exist. From my information, the following 8 countries ALREADY
have a cycling all-party or intergroup:
Belgium, France, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Switzerland, UK, USA.

QUESTION 2. Apart from the eight countries listed above, are there any other
countries in the world which have a all-party or intergroup in the national
parliament, and if so could you please inform me. If you have a contact name
and details of the person involved, I would be happy to have that as well.

Thank you for your help in this respect, and I look forward to being able to
develop an accurate list that will help our efforts.

Regards
Olly Hatch
Velo-Mondial Secretary-General
oh at velo-city.org