[sustran] Re: Road building

Harun al-Rasyid Sorah Lubis halubis at trans.si.itb.ac.id
Mon Jul 31 10:21:40 JST 2000

That is what the transport planner called : suppressed demand.

Just like a water in a resorvoir, temporarily kept. Once you open the valve,
it leaks to any spare channel (read capacity) added.

In routine consultancy work, i.e. four step transport modeling, they tackle
this through, over-assignment technique, either assuming elasticity on the
demand curve or doing an adhoc technique called matrix capping. I guest in
Canada they do the latter, while in the  UK they use the former. UK  has
formally introduced this in the transport planning practice.

Harun
ITB/Bandung