[sustran] Re: Transportation options for developing and transitio ning countries?

Jain Alok ajain at kcrc.com
Tue Jul 18 19:31:14 JST 2000

In Hong Kong, a lot is going on in terms of exercising Transportation
options to improve air quality. These are, in short term:

- change of entire taxi fleet from diesel to LPG
- proposals for change of mini-buses and light goods vehicle to LPG from
diesel

And, in longer term:

- priority for railways as preferred mode of transport (policy push to
increase current market market share of railway over 30% to 50% by
introducing new railways, rationalising bus routes and by better transport
integration)
- proposals to develop green "new towns" centred around railway stations and
a highly developed pedestrian/cycle corridors.

A lot of material on these issues can be found on HK Government Websites
(try Transport Bureau and Planning and Environmental Bureau) at:

http://www.info.gov.hk/

I can help if any specific detail is needed.

Alok Jain
Hong Kong