[sustran] Transportation options for developing and transitioning countries?

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Tue Jul 18 13:28:04 JST 2000

Dear sustran-discussers

I have received this request from Barney Popkin, a consultant to ICLEI. I
have directed him to the materials on the SUSTRAN Network web site
(http://www.malaysiakini.com/sustran/).

However, if anyone has recent materials or particular favourites that you
would like to draw to his attention then please do!  And of course, I would
also be very interested to hear about them.

Paul
SUSTRAN Resource Centre

>From: "Barney P. Popkin" <bppopkin at sirius.com>
>To: "SUSTRAN (E-mail)" <sustran at po.jaring.my>
>Subject: Transportation options for developing and transitioning countries?
>Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:48:46 -0700
>
>Dear SUSTRAN,
>
>David Engwicht of Australia suggested that I contact you for help!
>
>I'm working with a non-profit environmental organization that provides
>information to local governments.  My U.S. EPA-funded assignment for the
>International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI) is to
>prepare a draft on "TRANSPORTATION Options to Improve Air Quality and
>Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions in DEVELOPING AND TRANSITIONING COUNTRIES."
> I completed a draft, and now my specific task is to cite the best
>"Sustainable Transportation Resources," including:
>
>*	Software -- broad-based urban/transportation planning software packages,
>route optimization, fuel management.  They need to be applicable to
>non-European/non-North American context.
>
>*	VIDEOS
>
>*	Printed Materials (books and reports)
>
>*	Organizations
>
>*	Websites -- good ones, useful and practical to local governments
>
>*	Funding guides
>
>Please advise if you are privy to such resources or if you can refer me to
>appropriate resources.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you might
>provide.
>
>If you would like information on ICLEI, please see <www.iclei.org>.
>
>Best wishes,
>Barney P. Popkin
>Resources Management Consultant
>701 Shotwell Street
>San Francisco, CA  94110-2611  U.S.A.
>Phone 415-282-8056, fax 415-282-3886
>E-mail bppopkin at sirius.com, web page http://bppopkin.tripod.com/
>Managing resources safely, strategically, and sustainably

A. Rahman Paul BARTER
SUSTRAN Resource Centre
Information services for the Sustainable Transport Action Network
for Asia and the Pacific (the SUSTRAN Network)
sustran at po.jaring.my,  http://www.malaysiakini.com/sustran