[sustran] Re: Economic value of urban transport system

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Thu Jan 27 07:24:35 JST 2000

To elaborate on Todd's point below, using a per kilometer cost is
not really the right analysis when computing total costs. The big
savings from a transit-oriented region is the shorter average
trip lengths for a give population size and the ability for people
to travel using non-motorized modes.

Also, it is important to distinguish between public and private
expenditures. In the US, the focus is almost always on how much
transit is costing instead of how much autos are costing. Puget
Sound Regional Council (website I believe is www.psrc.org) did
a computation of total expenditures for both freight and
passenger transportation in the greater Seattle region, including
some "externalities" like pollution costs. It might be worth
looking at. It found that about 90 percent of all passenger
transportation costs are private. (Transit service is being
slashed in this region by 40 percent due to an antitax initiative that
cuts excise taxes off car users. Supposedly, this is because they were
being unfairly taxed in order to waste too much money on transit. There
was no mention how small a portion of the total cost of car ownership
this tax really was and that many households actually save money by not
having to own as many cars. That is why the public/private distinction is
important.)  Eric Bruun