[sustran] Re: [sustran] What is the “economic value” of the city transport system?

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Mon Jan 24 20:42:17 JST 2000

Dear  Eric...

An interesting theoretical point. Actually, attempts have been made to do
just that (advise public transport policy makers of the benefits of reform
and re-engineering), and some of the most intense efforts have been made in
Boston. Result --- what drives public transport decision making in North
America is special interests --- politics. The minute you tread on the
special interests that control public transport, the appetite for reform
goes away. In the US, this may have to do with our special interest inclined
political system, but similar things go on in Canada.

Wendell Cox