[sustran] Re: Bus Lanes

Ananthakrishnan ganant at vsnl.com
Sun Jan 23 15:22:27 JST 2000

The writer mentions a host of problems that are found in almost all South
Asian cities - unplanned for any significant level of automobile-based
mobility - and it is evident that the answer to me lies in making public
transport more attractive.  Simply because, the buses are run with all these
problems even now, and lanes are not going to make service worse, only
better.

Chennai's experiment with a limited stretch of bus lane has, on balance,
been positive. It is the only stretch where buses can move faster in the
city, a fact acknowledged by all, most importantly, by the monopoly
operator, MTC. Travel times can in fact be guaranteed, except for a major
obstruction.  Thus, the lanes do work.

What is more, the maximum number of road accident victims for motorised
transport in this city are two-wheeler riders, who have adopted this mode
because the buses have failed them. Therefore, more buses, more lanes,
appropriate fares and greater access would in the long term have enormous
social benefits by reducing fatalities and injuries.

Even politically, I would presume that if bus commuters are organised by
NGOs, it is bound to have an impact on policy - simply because the numbers
are greater than car users.  After the media and concerned individuals in
Chennai made a big noise over the proposal to scrap the lane, the urban
development authority beat a hasty retreat.

Chennai happens to be part of the Sustainable Cities concept of UNDP and is
committed to improving public transport, noise and air pollution.

Activists would perhaps achieve better results, if they take up South Asian
mobility issues in the perspective of the massive aid that cities receive
for development from international agencies - ostensibly for sustainable
development.

My newspaper (The Hindu) has just frontpaged a story locally on how the
urban development authority and the Governments in New Delhi and Chennai
have failed to achieve integration of fares and services in this city.

G.Ananthakrishnan, Chennai-based journalist can be reached at Tel: + 91 44
8413942 , Fax: + 91 44 8415395.