[sustran] [sustran] car free day in Manila? Dream on

Craig Townsend townsend at central.murdoch.edu.au
Sat Jan 22 07:11:37 JST 2000

>From the Philippine Star Online, 21 January 2000

Crackdown on pedicabs

Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairman Jejomar Binay
ordered yesterday a relentless arrest operation against abusive pedicab and
tricycle drivers who continuously ply major thoroughfares in Metro Manila.

Binay said that he will seek the support of all the mayors in Metro Manila
to efficiently rid major thoroughfares of pedicabs and tricycles. He noted
that under the law, pedicab and tricycles are allowed only to travel on
side streets and not on major thoroughfares.

"This unlawful act, which has been proven dangerous as evidenced by a
number of accidents along the C-5 Road and other areas in the metropolis
which resulted in death of tricycle passengers, must be stopped," Binay said.

Binay said that since the franchising and regulation of pedicabs and
tricycles are now vested on local government units (LGUs), the cooperation
of local government officials is critical for the campaign to succeed.

"There is a need to rationalize the issuance of permits for pedicabs and
tricycles. This must be swiftly addressed," Binay said.

Binay appealed to all mayors and barangay leaders to thoroughly study the
significance of the MMDA's campaign and to implement the necessary
sanctions against all erring pedicab and tricycle drivers.

He said that an occular inspection conducted recently by the MMDA's Traffic
Operations Center (TOC) in the five police districts of Metro Manila,
showed that several pedicab and tricycle operators and drivers'
associations are maintaining illegal terminals along several major
thoroughfares.

The result of the occular inspection will be forwarded by Binay to all
mayors in Metro Manila for proper and appropriate action.

"I am certain that the Metro Manila mayors will be one with me in this
crusade," Binay said. -- Jose Rodel Clapano

>From: "Heckler" <heckler at quickweb.com.ph>
>To: "Sustran Discuss" <sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org>
>CC: "Obet Verzola" <rverzola at phil.gn.apc.org>,        "Mine Watch"
><bantay-mina at phil.gn.apc.org>,        "Green Forum"
><greenfm at phil.gn.apc.org>, "cacp" <cacp at surfshop.net.ph>,        "Parplays"
><fireflybrigade at egroups.com>
>Subject: [sustran] car free day in Manila? Dream on
>Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 22:21:23 +0800
>
>For those of you who remember the letter that the Philippine NGO
Sustainable Transport Network sent to Metro Manila Development Authority
Chairman Jejomar Binay endorsing his proposal for a carfree day in Metro
Manila,
>hereunder is his verbatim reply (and uncommented as well).
>
>Dear Mr. Fernan:
>
>Thank you so much for your very encouraging letter of October 18, 1999. It
was such a welcome respite from the barrage of criticism we received, ever
since the plan to hold car-less days in Metro Manila saw print in several
newspapers.

>I do not want to dampen your enthusiasm, but lest you be led to
prematurely entertain expectations on the proximity of the plan's
implementation, I would like to inform you that it is still under study.

>Allow me just the same to clarify that this was not primarily intended as
a traffic management scheme. It was born out of our concern for the
improvemenet of Metro Manila's air shed. As you and your group may well
>know, Metro Manila, with a vehicle density of 435 vehicles per kilometer
of road is already the 9th most polluted metropolis among the 40 best
cities in Asia and 70 percent of its air pollutants is accounted to
vehicular emissions.

>Admittedly, it will take sometime before the plan can be implemented as
this is dependent on the existence of an efficient mass transport system.
And if it is any positive sign, this requirement has already been started
to be put in place by the government.

>Again, thank you very much and we look forward to your continued support.
>
>Very truly yours,
>
>Jejomar C. Binay
>Chairman

Craig Townsend
Institute for Sustainability & Technology Policy
Murdoch University
South Street, Murdoch
Perth, Western Australia 6150

tel: (61 8) 9360 6293