[sustran] fwd: Re: Are petrol taxes regressive

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Wed Jan 19 10:50:54 JST 2000

An interesting post on the utsg list below - part of a recent thread on
"are petrol taxes regressive?"  Transport equity is a major concern here at
sustran-discuss so you may be interested in the two new reports mentioned
below.
Paul.

>Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:32:30 GMT
>Subject: Re: Are petrol taxes regressive
>From: Dave du Feu <ddf at holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
>To: utsg at mailbase.ac.uk
>
>Two relevant publications are as below, both based solely
>on the UK situation.  I have also given my
>web, email and phone contacts for IPPR and CPRE but have not
>checked if these are up to date.  I have not checked if these reports
>are available on the web.
>
>A. Transport taxation & Equity, Skinner & Ferguson, pub. IPPR, 1998
>   www.ippr.org.uk    h.scott at ippr.org.uk    0171.470.6100 (UK phone no.)
>
>B. Rural Transport Policy & Equity, pub. CPRE, 1998
>   www.greenchannel.com/cpre   info at cpre.org.uk    0171.976.6433
>
>The report (A) includes discussion on fuel taxes within its
>wider discussion of transport taxes.  The general conclusion seems to be
>that petrol tax is progressive with the UK population at large and
>regressive within the UK motoring population.  However, it is less
>regressive than might be expected in that latter population, since
>better off people tend to drive much further than poorer people with
>cars.
>
>They identify the most serious problem as being for poor rural motorists
>- though certainly not for rural motorists in general.
>
>Report (B) is looking at wider rural transport policy,
>and that includes some discussion about petrol taxes.
>
>Both organisations involved in producing the above reports come I think
>from an environmental and an equity perspective, and take a broadly
>sympathetic view of petrol and motoring taxes.  They both therefore
>also make some effort to suggest ways in which regressive aspects
>can be countered - notably the effects on poor rural motorists.

>Dave du Feu  ---  Phone: 0131-650-3202  ---  Email: Dave.duFeu at ed.ac.uk
>Computing Officer  --  Public Health Sciences / Medical Statistics Unit
>Medical Buildings    Teviot Place    University of Edinburgh    EH8 9AG

PLEASE NOTE NEW 8 DIGIT TELEPHONE/FAX NUMBER

A. Rahman Paul BARTER
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia
and the Pacific (the SUSTRAN Network)
P.O. Box 11501,  Kuala Lumpur 50748, Malaysia.
TEL/FAX: +60 3 2274 2590
E-mail: sustran at po.jaring.my
SUSTRAN:  http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/2853/

The SUSTRAN Network promotes and popularises
people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport
with a focus on Asia and the Pacific.