[sustran] Re: Manila MRT

Dr. V. S. Pendakur pendakur at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Jan 10 13:35:27 JST 2000

It appears that basic tenets of good planning are missing both in Bangkok and
Manila.  There is not much consideration of user convenience in the design of
stations and access to stations.  The estimates of ridership appear to have been
made as if the riders would not balance cost, time and convenience factors.
Were there any sensitivity analyses done? If so, what were bottom ridership
figures to make this financially viable?  Feasibility decisions appear to have
been made outside of the context of users and rider convenience.  No wonder the
ridership in both cases is much less than expected.  Have people forgotten that
there is a strong relationship between incomes, costs, time values and
convenience?

Strange things happen and will continue to happen, including the selection of
technology for all the wrong reasons.  Now the entire political and
administrative system will try to repair the damages and make it, possibly, yet
worse than it already is.

Under these circumstances, what is the appropriate role for the NGOs in both
cities?

Cheers.