[sustran] road safety training

leyland LEYLAND at maf.org
Fri Feb 25 03:40:16 JST 2000

     Dear All

     I am working with a road maintenance project in Western Uganda that is
     assisting the Ministry of Works to rehabilitate the main gravel road
     network.  There is a community participation component within the
     project which includes a road safety programme.  With the improvement
     of the roads, there is a risk that the number and severity of
     accidents could increase so we are also trying to tackle road user
     behaviour within the project.

     We are carrying out a training programme for teachers from schools
     near the roads, using flipcharts that we have produced, to improve
     children's safety and behaviour on the roads.  We are also
     constructing footpaths along some of the key sections of the gravel
     roads that are used by many pedestrians e.g. between trading centres
     and schools or entry stretches to district towns etc.

     Now we are looking to develop a road safety training programme with
     the Police and the National Road Safety Council for public transport
     operators in the project area, primarily the 'taxi' (minibus) drivers,
     'machara' (motorcycle) operators and the 'boda boda' (bicycle)
     operators.  We are meeting with the transporter associations and
     relevant parties to work out with them what their training needs are
     and develop the programme and training materials as necessary.

     However, we are interested to find out what training resources and
     materials are currently available and to learn from other relevant
     experiences.  Does anyone have, or know of, relevant training
     materials or documentation that we could access?

     Please let me know.  Thanks

     Jo Leyland
     Western Uganda Road Maintenance Capacity Building Project

     email: leyland at maf.org