Blowing bicycles

Milnor H. Senior, III msenior at uswest.net
Thu Feb 24 10:16:18 JST 2000

Dear Kerry Wood,
    The engineering work done for calculating air movement within the System was first
done by ex John Mansville engineers that had extensive experience with air movement in
mining operations.  That work was later reviewed by Dutch engineers which found that
the project was indeed realistic.  I am not an engineer so I rely on PEs for performing
these functions.  The basic determinations are that air can be moved through a 10 mile
long system using van axial fans powered with 150 hp. electric motors.  The air
movement components contain noise and vibration reduction functions.  To move air both
ways in a 10 mile long system would require 11 air movement units which at the current
cost of electricity in the U.S. would cost a total of $200 per hour to operate for the
entire system.  All the calculations where done using an open system to provide the
maximum cost figures.  Part of the engineering work done included developing custom
software which allows for all the variables to be changed with the air movement needs
being instantly recalculated.   Savings can be achieved through design changes and with
different materials.  Air locks are commonly used in commercial buildings in the U.S.
so for example you may enter a grocery store through an air lock opening without even
feeling the air movement.  The TransGlide System will be able to have the same air lock
technology.  When cyclists enter the System the lack of resistance will provide them
with the feeling of being gently pulled along.
    In areas where the air is heated or cooled the same air can be recirculated through
the System, however the air will be filtered to remove pm 10 particulates.  Heating,
cooling and air movement functions can be accomplished using a wide range of products
already on the market allowing for the use of those products and technologies which are
already established and for which installers and maintenance workers would be readily
available in any local market.  Our goal is to use as many local venders and suppliers
as possible.  A large advantage of the low-tech nature of the System is that it has a
wide range of flexibility in how it is constructed and what materials can be used.
    As to construction costs, they will of course vary depending on site specific
issues and the functions which are included in the System.  Based on bids from
suppliers in the U.S. the System can be built at a profit in the U.S. charging a cost
of $8 million a mile which would include all components, parking and be a turnkey
operation.  A large transit building company is considering building Systems for 10% of
the cost paid in advance with the balance of the capital costs to be paid from the
profits generated by the System.  A corridor study done for a 10 mile open air system
from downtown L.A. to Pasadena a distance of almost 10 miles showed that in the first
30 years of operations with charging a fare of only $.50 per direction the system would
generate a profit of $111 million after repaying capital costs, maintenance costs and
operating costs.  The engineering work for that study was done be CH2M-Hill.
    Sincerely,
    Milnor H. Senior, III
    President - Bicycle Transportation Systems, Inc.