Cox & Litman V5 & Bruun

Francis PAPON papon at inrets.fr
Wed Feb 23 18:50:30 JST 2000

is 55 min by bike. It would be 1h35 by rail and 2 hours by bus (and
uniformely distributed between 30 min and 1h30 by car).

To be more general the average commercial speed of buses in Paris is
below 10 km/h, which, taking into account waiting times and longer
routes is often not faster than a brisk walk.

Survey data show that door to door speeds for actual bicycle trips in
France are better than those for public transport trips for distances
up to 10 kilometres.

   ----- Original Message -----    <bold>From:</bold>    "Wendell Cox"
'sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org'       <bold>Sent:</bold> Mon, 21 Feb
2000 19:57:52 -0600    PM   <bold>Subject:</bold> Re: Cox & Litman V5 &
   Bruun

</paraindent>>    In the US, Canada and Western Europe it is quite
normal for a  bus or rail commute to take more than one-half hour over
distances that could  not be covered in a reasonable period by bicycle.

>   ----- Original Message -----    <bold>From:</bold>
<<mailto:Jimmy.Tan at komag.com  title=Jimmy.Tan at komag.com>Jimmy Tan
<bold>To:</bold> 'sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org'
<bold>Sent:</bold> Monday, February 21, 2000 8:35    PM
<bold>Subject:</bold> Re: Cox & Litman V5 &    Bruun

>   I'm not sure about rail, but if in the cities or    within the city
itself if a bus takes more then half an hour to travel >from    one
point to another( or even within  the city and it's suburbs) , it's
usually stuck in a traffic jam. Hence by using a bike, from my
experience,    uses fairly less time than buses or private
vehicles(PVs).

> As for rails and there is    slightly any excuse for frequently delay
that I would agree with you, Alok    Jain.

>Pedal power Jimmy STEP

>-----Original Message----- <bold>From:  </bold> Jain      Alok
[SMTP:ajain at kcrc.com] <bold>Sent:  </bold> Tuesday,      February 22,
2000 9:24 AM <bold>To:    </bold> 'sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org'
<bold>Subject:       </bold> [sustran] RE: Cox & Litman V5 & Bruun

>Yeah...but where your commute takes over half an      hour by bus or
rail, bike cannot      substitute. In big cities, I would consider
bike's role more as      feeder to rail transit or other public
transport, with some sort of bike-sharing      concept (to use at the
destination end).

>Cheers Alok      Jain

>-----Original Message----- From: Milnor H. Senior, III
[mailto:msenior at uswest.net] Sent: February 22,      2000 5:43 AM To:
  sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org Subject:      Re: Cox & Litman V5 &
Bruun

transit products the      issue is a combination of high capital costs
to      build these rail products plus      the operating costs which
will always exceed      fare revenues so that constant operating
subsidies are required.  I believe the answer lies in building
transit infrastructure which can be built at an affordable cost and
operated      on a profit making basis by private enterprises so that
no public subsidies      are required. Please examine the web site
www.biketrans.com to see an example of      the type of transit
infrastructure which can exceed the carrying capacity of      highway
lanes, most light rail systems and which offers higher speeds in
congested urban areas.  The System      is not only less expensive to
build and operate than current transit      products but the real
savings will come from the improvement in      public health      which
will result from building exercise back into normal life
activities.  With cardiovascular disease as      the number one cause
of death in the US and with obesity increasing      at an alarming rate
it is time to consider making changes that benefit both      human
health and the environment while lowering transportation costs.
Bicycling is the most efficient form      of transportation known and
expanding its use within our transportation      system should be used
to solve urban congestion problems.     Sincerely,     Milnor H.
Senior, III     President - Bicycle Transportation Systems,      Inc.

Francis Papon, chargé de recherche mailto:francis.papon at inrets.fr

INRETS/DEST/EEM, fax +33145475606

2, av. du Général Malleret-Joinville, F-94114 Arcueil France

http://www.inrets.fr/infos/centres/inrets/velo_arcueil.html