Cox & Litman V5 & Bruun

Milnor H. Senior, III msenior at uswest.net
Tue Feb 22 06:42:45 JST 2000

issue is a combination of high capital costs to build these rail products plus
the operating costs which will always exceed fare revenues so that constant
operating subsidies are required.  I believe the answer lies in building transit
infrastructure which can be built at an affordable cost and operated on a profit
making basis by private enterprises so that no public subsidies are required.
Please examine the web site www.biketrans.com to see an example of the type of
transit infrastructure which can exceed the carrying capacity of highway lanes,
most light rail systems and which offers higher speeds in congested urban
areas.  The System is not only less expensive to build and operate than current
transit products but the real savings will come from the improvement in public
health which will result from building exercise back into normal life
activities.  With cardiovascular disease as the number one cause of death in the
US and with obesity increasing at an alarming rate it is time to consider making
changes that benefit both human health and the environment while lowering
transportation costs.  Bicycling is the most efficient form of transportation
known and expanding its use within our transportation system should be used to
solve urban congestion problems.
    Sincerely,
    Milnor H. Senior, III
    President - Bicycle Transportation Systems, Inc.