Mumbai Rail Corp. will become a reality

Debi Goenka debi.beag at SoftHome.net
Mon Feb 21 21:06:09 JST 2000

This is with reference to Kisan Mehta's "corrections" to my
email.

Here are some more corrections.

1. As I mentioned in my email, though the project has been
"officially" dropped, my information is that discussions and
negotiations are still taking place regularly with the
MMRDA, who is coordinating this project. Thus there is no
finality in the official announcement.

2. In addition to the toll being charged for the flyovers,
the Maharashtra Government has increased the price of petrol
and diesel sold in Bombay to partially pay for the flyover
construction. This option had been suggested earlier as an
alternative to toll - we are now stuck with both!

3. There is no reason why the rail component of MUTP II
cannot still be implemented - in fact, the major chunk of
the budget is earmarked for suburban rail component. The
road portion may have to be reworked in the light of the new
flyovers - I do not think it is being dropped completely.

Cheers

Debi

--

Debi Goenka