fwd: transport externalities studies in the South?

Todd Litman litman at vtpi.org
Mon Feb 21 02:29:20 JST 2000

At 11:10 AM 02/20/2000 +0800, you wrote:
>What studies have actually been done for developing (and transition)
>economies that attempt to put an economic value on the road transport
>externalities, particularly Accidents, Air Pollution, Noise and Congestion?
>  While such studies have, as you know, multiplied rapidly for most of the
>OECD countries over the last decade, we know of relatively few for
>developing countries, and we suspect that there are quite a lot of studies
>done by local governments, universities and NGOs that we are not aware of.

See the following:

Christopher Zegras with Todd Litman, "An Analysis of the Full Costs and
Impacts of Transportation in Santiago de Chile," International Institute
for Energy Conservation (Washington DC, Santiago; www.iiec.org), sponsored
by the Climate Change Division of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
and the Tinker Foundation, March 1997. This is one of the first
comprehensive transport cost studies in the developing world.

Cullinane, S.L.; K.P.B. Cullinane, "Increasing Car Ownership and Use in
Egypt: The Straw that Breaks the Camel's Back?", International Journal of
Transport Economics, Vol. 22, No. 1, Feb. 1995, pp. 35-63.

Jose Carbajo, "Roads and the Environment: A Handbook," World Bank, 1993.

Faiz, Asif; Surhid Gautam; Emaad Burik, "Air Pollution from Motor Vehicles:
Issues and Options for Latin American Countries," in Science of the Total
Environment, 1995, pp. 303-310.

Kenneth Gwilliam, "Can Developing Countries Learn from Our Mistakes,"
Transport at the Millennium; Annals of the American Academy of Political
and Social Science, Vol. 553, Sept. 1997, pp. 168-179.

Todd Litman, "Transportation Cost Analysis; Applications in Developed and
Developing Countries," India Journal of Applied Economics, Vol. 7, No. 1
(Basaveswaranager; ijae.kps at axcess.net.in), January-March 1998, pp. 115-137.

Ian Barwell, "Transport and the Village; Findings from African
Village-Level Travel and Transport Surveys and Related Studies," World Bank
(Washington DC), Discussion Paper No. 344, Africa Region Series, 1996.

Yaakov Garb,, "The Trans-Israel Highway: Do We Know Enough To Proceed?",
Floersheimer Institute for Policy Studies (Jerusalem)	April 1997.

Todd Litman, "Transportation Cost Analysis - Summary", VTPI
(http://www.vtpi.org), 1999. This is a comprehensive summary of
transportation costs, including user costs, government costs, and various
external costs. The same costing techniques apply in developing countries,
although their magnitude may change to reflect local economies.

Sincerely,

Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"