fwd: Dubai International Award for Best Practices

Ananthakrishnan ganant at vsnl.com
Thu Feb 17 12:31:46 JST 2000

One would think Dubai is itself a very good place to start some sustainable
practices.
I was there in 1998 and found that the default option for mobility for a
visitor was the taxi, of which several hundred had been newly deployed under
a Dubai Taxi scheme - taxis by themselves are more acceptable than cars as
they represent a common vehicle pool, but they are not the best option going
by the costs. There were very few buses on Dubai roads.

It is interesting that with all its prosperity, Dubai has limited options
for its less affluent residents  - wage earning labour.

G.Ananthakrishnan, Chennai-based journalist can be reached at Tel: + 91 44
8413942 , Fax: + 91 44 8415395.