[sustran] fwd: Jakarta pedicab drivers occupy City Council

SUSTRAN Network Secretariat sustran at po.jaring.my
Tue Feb 8 10:50:16 JST 2000

The Jakarta Post  (http://www.thejakartapost.com)
City News
February 01, 2000

'Becak' drivers occupy City Council

City News — February 01, 2000

JAKARTA (JP): Thousands of becak (pedicab) drivers occupied the City
Council on Monday in a desperate move to pressure the administration to
legalize their operation in the capital.

"We demand the city administration and the city councilors allow pedicabs
to operate in the city. We also demand the councilors revoke 1988 City
Bylaw No. 11 on public order which bans pedicabs from the city streets,"
coordinator of the Urban Poor Consortium Wardah Hafidz, who helped organize
the action, told council speaker Edy Waluyo in a meeting.

Edy responded that it would be impossible to issue a policy which would
allow operation of pedicabs in the city without the approval of all city
councilors and the administration.

"Why are you so pushy on this matter? The city administration has provided
programs to help them change their professions. All they have to do is
register at the city's Vocational Training Center," he said.

Wardah dismissed the offer, saying that President Abdurrahman Wahid allowed
the drivers to operate in residential areas.

"The President has allowed pedicabs. How come the City Council and the city
administration keep on insisting on banning the pedicabs?"

Edy said after the meeting that the drivers could operate in other cities
which permitted pedicabs.

"Allowing pedicabs to operate in Jakarta again will cause the city
population to grow even higher. We can't afford this to happen."

The drivers initially met with Edy Waluyo, deputy council speaker Suwardi
and deputy chairman of the council's Commission E for social welfare
affairs, H.A.H. Ishak. The officials asked the drivers to send their
representatives to discuss their demand.

The drivers, however, rejected the offer and insisted that all of them be
heard by the councilors. The situation became heated as the drivers berated
the councilors.

Police arrested Abdul Rozak, 17, a senior high school student, for
allegedly provoking the drivers. He claimed to be the owner of a pedicab,
but failed to provide an identification card.

After the negotiations ended in failure, the drivers continued to demand
the city administration and the City Council allow their operation in the
city.

The drivers gathered at the building beginning at 6 a.m. They parked their
pedicabs along Jl. Kebon Sirih, causing traffic congestion.

UPC activist Edy Saidy claimed that there were 5,000 drivers at Monday's
rally.

City administration officials closed all doors connecting City Hall and the
City Council in anticipation of the rally. A fire truck was also deployed.

Governor Sutiyoso said he would uphold the bylaw and ban pedicabs from
operating in the city.

"You can see that pedicabs are out of control nowadays. They even operate
on the main streets," he said separately at City Hall.

"My car almost hit a becak near the Bank Indonesia traffic circle. The
driver rode his pedicab against the traffic. Luckily, my driver managed to
avoid a collision," he added.

Along with the end of the city administration's working hours, the drivers
dispersed peacefully at 4 p.m. (05)

This Website is designed and maintained for The Jakarta Post by Insprint.
All contents copyright © of The Jakarta Post.
webmaster at thejakartapost.com

Distributed for the purpose of education and research.

A. Rahman Paul BARTER
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia
and the Pacific (the SUSTRAN Network)
P.O. Box 11501, Kuala Lumpur 50748, Malaysia.
E-mail: sustran at po.jaring.my

Ask about our SUSTRAN NEWS FLASHES - news updates on
people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport.