Fw: Sprawl in Hungary

ITDP mobility at igc.org
Fri Feb 4 03:14:29 JST 2000

Dear Wendell,

Thanks for your comments.  The debates over subsidies to auto users are well
known to us all, and I guess we can be allowed differences of opinion.  In any
case, the connection to the S & L crisis was indeed the interesting point that
had somehow eluded me before.

I don't think you can say that all that real estate would have been developed
anyway.  Sprawl in the Sun Belt, particularly in Texas and California, was
quite rampant in the 1980s, exactly where the majority of the worst S & Ls were
located.  There is a film from the period shot from a helecopter showing
endless rows of strip malls and condominiums on the outskirts of Dallas,
completely vacant at the time, built by real estate firms, many directly owned
by the S & Ls.  These developments would certainly not have been built if it
weren't for the deregulation of the financial services sector under Reagan and
Regan.  The end result, of course, was that the taxpayers, whether or not they
subsidized the roads, also subsidized the sprawling real estate development.
The figures of this subsidy, $500 billion, (even if its only $200 billion)
still dwarf the annual US spending on highways ($40-$50 billion these days, I
believe, and closer to $20 billion in those days), subsidized or not.

Best,
Walter Hook

--
Access ITDP's New Website: www.ITDP.org
The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy