[sustran] Car sharing in Singapore web site

SUSTRAN Network Secretariat sustran at po.jaring.my
Thu Feb 3 11:30:58 JST 2000

I just noticed that the Car Sharing scheme in Singapore now has a web site
(http://www.income.com.sg/car-coop/). It is called the Car Co-Operative and
is run by NTUC INCOME (the business wing of the national trade union
confederation). To my knowledge this is the first Car Share scheme in Asia.
I hope we can get news soon on how well it is doing.

"Car sharing is an alternative to individual car ownership for people who
don't need to drive every day. It is based on joint access to a fleet of
vehicles, located throughout neighbourhoods, close to your home or work.
You pay for the hours and miles you drive. Insurance, gasoline and
maintenance are included in the rates."

Car sharing is NOT car pooling or ride sharing. For more information on car
sharing and its potential as part of an integrated urban transport system see:
The CarShare Consortium - http://www.ecoplan.org/carshare/
European Car Sharing - http://www.carsharing.org/english/index.html

Here is some of the introductory information on the Singapore site:

"Why car share?
Car ownership is expensive in Singapore. The average owner spends between
$1,200 and $1,500 a month to maintain a car. Once they buy one, most owners
justify their investment by driving even when they have cheaper
alternatives in public transport. Yet most cars are driven an average of
two hours a day. That means the cars are parked more than 90% of the time.

How does it work?
The Car Co-Op operates a fleet of private cars conveniently parked at
designated sites. It handles the maintenance, repairs and administration of
car ownership.

Each member is issued with a personal smart card and a booklet on how to
use the scheme. When member needs a car, he telephones a 24-hour
Reservation Centre, goes to the nearest site, collects the car key from an
automatic key safe and simply drives off. There are no payments or forms to
fill each time he uses the car. Charges are billed monthly and deducted
through GIRO. It's that user-friendly and simple.

Whether it's a short drive to the nearest hawker centre, an emergency at
midnight or a driveaway holiday in West Malaysia, the car is just a phone
call away."

Very interesting. Is car sharing only for high income cities? I wonder if
there is potential in middle-income cities too? I suspect that there is
potential. Does anyone know what is the lowest income city to have tried
car sharing?

Paul

A. Rahman Paul BARTER
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia
and the Pacific (the SUSTRAN Network)
P.O. Box 11501, Kuala Lumpur 50748, Malaysia.
TEL/FAX: +(60 3) 2274 2590
E-mail: sustran at po.jaring.my

The SUSTRAN Network promotes and popularises
people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport
with a focus on Asia and the Pacific.