[sustran] Bogotá Car Free Day - media support showing less traditional ways of moving in cities

eric.britton at ecoplan.org eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Feb 2 01:25:25 JST 2000

Please forgive the broadside, but a certain number of you may find this
interesting, possibly important and perhaps you will have some ideas and
materials for us.

If you go to the @World Car Free Day web site at
http://www.ecoplan.org/carfreeday/, you will not only spot a lot of general
stuff on why our topic is good for your health, but also, hopefully, you
will note that we are giving a hand to the mayor and people of Bogotá as
they prepare for the first major Car Free Day project in a Third World
mega-city.  It's all on the site so let me take no more of your time with
this background here.

We are seeking materials - videos, graphics - that can be used for a more or
less ongoing media barrage which is to begin.... tomorrow (of course).  The
idea is to show transportation concepts and actual systems which are taking
different approaches to the ones that have been so successfully sold to
Bogotá, Bangkok, Cairo and the other choking capitals and cities of the
developing nations.

Do you have any candidates or ideas for us on this?  It might be bike paths,
new ideas about making things better for people on foot, new ways of using
taxis, reserved bus lanes, traffic calming, reclaiming city streets, smarter
and better (and less!!!) parking, carsharing, TDM, ride sharing... and
myriad other ways of being smarter than just getting stuck in traffic.

Which brings up a thought.  IF any of you have any great footage on just
that - the evils of cars got wrong and their impact - that too might be very
useful in this context.

Eventually, someone might want to begin to think about some sort of lending
library or the like... since surely many of us would be able to make good
use of this on many occasions, if only we could get our hands on it when we
need it.

BTW, in case you haven't seen them you can find some pretty useful  video
material that has been collected on our @ccess Mobility Solutions site at
http://www.ecoplan.org/mobility -- a 20-minute video "Curitiba: Public
Transit Role Model for Los Angeles" at
http://real.telebuild.com/ramgen/e-architect/pia/rudc/inourlifetime.rm for
which you will of course need RealMedia, and two news program its from
French TV on the Car Free Day site (at http://www.ecoplan.org/carfreeday/ --
click independent Views in the top half of the menu and you'll see both of
them there (also RealMedia).)

With kindest thanks for your support on this,

Eric Britton

ecopl at n ___  technology, economy, society  ___
Eric.Britton at ecoplan.org     URL www.ecoplan.org
Voice/Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
Voicemail/Fax hotline: Europe +331 5301 2896
Voicemail/Fax hotline: North America +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)