Fw: Sprawl in Hungary (fwd)

Todd Litman litman at vtpi.org
Wed Feb 2 00:27:15 JST 2000

Let me make a few points in response to Mr. Coxes comments:

CONCERNING IDEOLOGY
I don't think that most critics of automobile-oriented transportation
planning consider cars and roads equivalent of the "Great Satan." Many of
us believe that automobiles have a role in a balanced transportation
system, but that current transport policies result in excessive driving,
and that given more optimal transportation and land use markets that
provide viable choices, fair and efficient pricing, and rational
investments consumers would choose to drive less and be better off as a
result. The point is not that cars are "bad", but rather that they impose
significant costs on society.

CONCERNING ROADWAY COST RECOVERY
According to the "1997 Federal Highway Cost Allocation Study," USDOT
(www.fhwa.dot.gov) current vehicle user charges (fuel taxes and
registration fees) only cover about 70% of total roadway costs, indicating
that these charges would need to increase by about 43% to achieve full cost
recovery. That is, the price of fuel would need to increase to about
60-cents per gallon just to cover road expenditures.

It is true that the highway cost study did include some transit
expenditures as part of road system costs (which can be justified on
least-cost principles, since transit investments are often cheaper than
building new urban highways, and because automobile dependency reduces the
efficiency of public transit). On the other hand, it omits a number of
additional facility costs and tax exemptions currently provided to
motorists. For example, the costs of local traffic services and municipal
parking subsidies are not included, and many states that apply general
sales taxes to most consumer goods exempt fuel.

There are a number of other external costs imposed by driving, including
parking subsidies, uncompensated accident costs, the opportunity cost of
roadway land, traffic congestion (traffic congestion is usually defined
only in terms of delay to other motor vehicles, but pedestrians and
cyclists are also delayed by traffic), and a number of negative
environmental impacts. These are discussed in our paper "Transportation
Cost Analysis" a summary of which is posted at our website,
http://www.vtpi.org. It summarizes the results of a number of studies on
the full costs of various modes of transportation.

The 1982 Federal Highway Cost Allocation Study examined the issue of
whether local roads should be funded by users or through general taxes and
concluded that once basic access is provided to an area there is no good
reason to continue general tax funding. This implies that there is
virtually no justification for general tax funding of current roadway costs.

A few automobile advocates have criticized these studies, arguing that
motorists pay their fair share of costs, but virtually none of the critics'
reports are published by peer-reviewed journals, while many of the
comprehensive cost studies are. For a discussion see our paper "Evaluating
Criticism of Transportation Costing".

INEVIDABILITY OF SUBURBANIZATION
Although most developed cities have experienced suburbanization, there is
some question as to how inevidable this is and how much it reflects free
market choice. Just as automobile use is underpriced, resulting in
excessive driving, lower-density development is underpriced, resulting in
excessive suburbanization. Examples of land use market distortions that
favor lower-density, urban fringe development include dedicated highway
funding that encourages automobile oriented solutions to transportation
problems, zoning laws that require generous parking and lower density
development, mortgage interest payment income tax deductions, and failure
to charge residents for the higher public service costs associated with
lower-density locations.

As a result, residents of higher-density older neighborhoods tend to
overpay their public service costs, while residents of lower-density, newer
residences tend to underpay (see Subhrait Guhathakurta, "Who Pays for
Growth in the City of Phoenix? An Equity-Based Perspective on
Suburbanization," Urban Affairs Review, Vol. 33, No. 5,
www.urbanfutures.org/j102898.html, July 1998, pp. 813-838; Robert Burchell,
et al., The Costs of Sprawl - Revisited, TCRP Report 39, Transportation
Research Board, www.nas.edu/trb, 1998). To put this another way, the
current land market fails to provide with effective price incentives,
because it does not return to individual consumers the savings that result
when they choose lower-cost locations. This encourages suburban development
over urban infill.

There are also some self-fulfilling prophesies at work. As more
middle-class households move to suburbs, urban neighborhoods become less
desirable places to live. But note that this has little to do with physical
conditions, rather it represents economic and social trends that favor
suburbs over cities.

This is not to say that in a less distorted land market everybody would be
living in highrise apartments, but it does suggest that some, perhaps much,
of suburbanization reflects a LACK of consumer choice and FAILURE of the
market, not true consumer preferences as Cox claims. The growing popularity
of loft apartments, neotraditional development and gentrified urban
neighborhoods indicates that given even moderatly attractive conditions,
some households would prefer moderate- to high-density residences.

ECONOMIC IMPACTS OF AUTOMOBILE DEPENDENCY
There is both theoretical and emperical evidence that excessive automobile
dependency has negative economic development impacts, since it imposes many
costs on governments, consumers and society overall, and it tends to
require a large amount of imported goods. A more balanced transportation
system could provide more economic stability to developing countries such
as Hungary. For discussion see "Automobile Dependency and Economic
Development" posted at our website.

Sincerely,

Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute