[sustran] Earth Car Free Day 2001

Paul Alexander Barter geobpa at nus.edu.sg
Sat Dec 23 18:47:29 JST 2000

Friends

I have just been made aware of a big push for an "Earth Car Free Day 2001".
There is a lot more detail at
http://ecoplan.org/carfreeday/EarthCFD/ec_index.htm but here is a brief
summary gleaned from here and there on the site.
------------

Earth Car Free Day 2001 will be held on Thursday, April 19th. This
represents the first collaboration between The Commons and the Earth Day
Network.

The main goal of Earth Car Free Day 2001 is to see if we can get together
with an expanding collection of international networks and groups around the
world who are working in different ways on the issues of sustainable
transport in our cites -- and try to focus their attention on a collective
rethink via the device of organizing a car free day.

The Earth Day Network
The Earth Day Network bring a great deal to this challenging planetary
venture with its strong international eco-networks and its thirty years of
successful Earth Day projects . If ever there were an occasion when "think
global, act local" had any meaning, Earth Car Free Day 2001 has to be one of
them. The Earth Day team will be making a major effort to extend the CFD to
activate and bring in other soft transport and eco-groups.

The Commons and Car Free Days
The Commons Car Free Day Consortium grew out of the group's 1988 Car Free
Cities program, and in particular out of the international cooperation that
began with the announcement of the Thursday Car Free Day action plan in
Toledo Spain in 1994. From the beginning, The Commons have practiced a "Big
House" approach to CFD organization, celebrating diversity and active local
commitment above all. The joint February 2000 program with the City of
Bogota won the Stockholm Challenge Prize.
------------------------

Dr Paul A. Barter
Visiting Fellow, Department of Geography
National University of Singapore
1 Arts Link, Singapore 117570
Tel: +65-874 3860; Fax: +65-777 3091
E-mail: geobpa at nus.edu.sg
(I'm also known as A Rahman Paul Barter)

PS  I am still volunteer contact point for SUSTRAN Network information
services
http://www.geocities.com/sustrannet

But for all other SUSTRAN Network matters contact the NEW SECRETARIAT:
Dr Bambang Susantono and Ms Moekti H. Soejachmoen
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia and the Pacific (SUSTRAN
Network)
c/o Pelangi Indonesia, Jl. Danau Tondano No. A-4,
Jakarta 10210, Indonesia.
Tel. +(62 21) 573 5020, 571 9360
Fax +(62 21) 573 2503
kuki at pelangi.or.id or bsantono at pelangi.or.id