[sustran] Re: GETTING THERE

Lake Sagaris sagaris at lake.cl
Thu Aug 10 03:18:03 JST 2000

Hi everyone -- great article on pedestrians. Just wanted to let you know
that we have launched our e-discussion (in Spanish) of a Sustainable
Transport Agenda for Santiago. I hesitate to send the four messages
(invitation, backgrounder, draft proposal, menu of solutions/tactics/etc.)
to this list, since it is all in Spanish, but if anyone's interested,
please let me know and I will send you the messages direct. You can also
check out our website, specifically the Transporte Agenda page, at
www.ciudadviva.cl. All best, Lake

Lake Sagaris
Santiago, Chile

At 06:27 PM 8/9/00 +0200, you wrote:
>On walking in cities: -- Further to today's earlier notes from Paul Barter
>and Akila Dinakar
>
>We have been impressed by the work that has been done in a number of
>instances in which very specific, recognizable point to point illustrated
>walking profiles have been done and made broadly available, including via
>print and electronic media.  Well done, it makes a good story and can help
>focus attention and get support for doing better.
>
>The idea, as most of you surely know, is to use a combination of route maps,
>photographs, drawings and verbal descriptions to show step by step what a
>given immediately recognizable trip involves.  Every pitfall, every pothole,
>every dangerous intersection, lack of protected walkway can thus be
>identified.  It is also a good idea to identify the individual who is making
>the trip, and of course this can be a great school project.  Also, it can be
>effective in showing the kinds of barriers and stresses that people who have
>small children, strollers, or who have to move by wheelchair or otherwise
>impaired.
>
>The idea is to keep pounding away, one by one, until support begins to
>coalesce and things start to get done.  In parallel with them, analysts can
>begin to draw up lists and outline plans for specific remedial projects and
>actions which can also be given full public play.
>
>We would be pleased to post such profiles for any city on the @ccess on the
>Web site at http://www.ecoplan.org/access and make them broadly known.
>
>Eric Britton
>
>The Commons  ___  technology, economy, society  ___
>Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara, 75006 Paris, France
>URL www.ecoplan.org

Ojo con cambio de dirección/
Note change of address:
sagaris at lake.cl