[sustran] Re: Singapore

Piotr Olszewski (Assoc Prof) COLSZE at ntu.edu.sg
Wed Aug 9 19:45:58 JST 2000

I feel obliged to respond to John's request and add a few points to
Farheen's report.  We have been monitoring the ALS and ERP effects for some
time now and have lots of data.

The general conclusion is that the system works well, in the sense that it
keeps the main roads free from congestion on weekdays, during what is
considered to be economically important periods: 7:30-9:30 for expressways
and major arterials leading to the centre and 7:30-19:00 for the city area
itself.

Traffic is quite sensitive to the ERP even though the charges are relatively
small - comparable to a one-hour parking fee here (and well below what it
costs in other cities!).  Traffic speeds are monitored by the Land Transport
Authority and the rates are revised every 3 months to maintain the speeds
within the desirable bands. If the speed drops below a threshold value, the
ERP rate is raised, if the speed is higher than the upper threshold, the
rate is lowered. Drivers respond even to small changes by re-timing or
re-routing their trips.  We have found the elasticity of traffic volume to
the ERP charge to be -0.1 for the city commuters and -0.2 for expressways in
the morning; -0.2 for the city during the day and -0.6 in the evening.

The ERP works better than the ALS: under the old system most commuters had
monthly licences, which means that once they bought it, their subsequent
driving behaviour was not affected. When the system was changed to ERP
per-entry method of charging, traffic volumes to the CBD dropped by 20%,
although the individual rates were lower than the daily licence before.
Another good indication that the new system is a more effective demand
management tool is that the total revenue from ERP is now less than what it
used to be under ALS, although there are now more roads subjected to pricing
and the congestion is not worse.

The problem of big traffic surges, which used to occur before and after the
ALS periods, is now hardly evident. This is due to the 'shoulder pricing'
method which involves the rate increasing in small steps every half an hour
in the morning and decreasing in the evening. While this is effective and
may be well understood by regular commuters, it is confusing to an
occasional user (like myself) - one is never sure how much will be deducted
from the cash card! - especially with rates being revised every 3 months.

A more substantial and official report on the ERP experience by A.P.G. Menon
may be found in February 2000 issue of the TEC.

Piotr Olszewski              colsze at ntu.edu.sg
Tel: (+65) 790-5320        Fax: (+65) 791-0676
Nanyang Technological University,    Singapore