[sustran] fwd Indonesia earth day prelim reports

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Tue Apr 25 10:21:23 JST 2000

The Jakarta Post
National News April 23, 2000

President marks Earth Day, admits tough decisions

National News — April 23, 2000

JAKARTA (JP): President Abdurrahman Wahid emphasized the government's
commitment to environment preservation but conceded that compromises must
sometimes be made for the country's economic interests.

During a commemoration of the 30th Earth Day at the State Palace on
Saturday, the President cited that he was often at a paradox on several
issues including the controversy over pulp and rayon firm PT Inti
Indorayon, in Porsea, North Sumatra.

... other stuff snipped ....

Cars

State Minister of Environment Sony Keraf has been trying to boost the
commemoration of Earth Day by, among other things, calling on people to
refrain from using automobiles on Sunday.

Aware of the appeal, Abdurrahman said he could not oblige.

"Tomorrow (Sunday) I must go to Surabaya. It's impossible for me not to use
a car. You should have informed me about the program much earlier," the
President said with a smile.

Separately, residents in the capital showed mixed reactions over the appeal
not use their private vehicles on Sunday.

"It won't be a big problem for me to follow the call as it is a holiday,"
said businessman Gunawan Tjahjadi.

Restaurant manager Johny Nicholas said that he could only follow the appeal
after going to church in the morning. "There's no other choice then using
my private car to go to the church tomorrow," he said.

Earlier on Saturday around 1,000 pedicab drivers in Jakarta commemorated
Earth Day by pedaling their becaks on the city's main thoroughfares even
though existing law actually prohibit them from passing through these
streets.

"The becak is an environment-friendly vehicle. But the vehicle is banned
from operating in Jakarta by the administration," said Edi Saidi, the rally
coordinator

.... some other stuff snipped....

The Bandung administration is also calling for its residents not to use
their private automobiles from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Sunday.

Administration spokesman Ishaq Rauf announced through local radio stations
and publications that the appeal was in response to the state minister's
request.

Ishaq claimed air pollution in Bandung had reached an intolerable limit.
"This can be seen at city parks where most of the plants do not have
flowers," he said without elaborating. (har/zen/25/ind/asa/sur/prb)

All contents copyright © of The Jakarta Post.
webmaster at thejakartapost.com

Distributed for the purpose of education and research.

A. Rahman Paul BARTER
SUSTRAN Resource Centre
P.O. Box 11501, Kuala Lumpur 50748, Malaysia.
E-mail: sustran at po.jaring.my

Information services for the Sustainable Transport Action Network
for Asia and the Pacific (the SUSTRAN Network)
http://www.malaysiakini.com/sustran