[sustran] Re: Reducing number of cars on the road

Milnor H. Senior, III msenior at uswest.net
Fri Apr 7 07:13:04 JST 2000

Dear Mr. Holland,
    I have been in Seattle attending a global warming conference so my response
has been delayed.  I would like to point out that as cycling becomes more
popular it becomes safer with more cyclists increasing motor vehicle drivers
awareness that cyclists are part of the transportation consumers who will be
found using transportation facilities.  Most cycling fatalities result from
crashes between motor vehicles and cycles.  Some research indicates that about
20 % of cycle fatalities involve cyclists who are operating their cycles while
under the influence of alcohol.  Separating cycling facilities from motor
vehicle facilities will make cycling much safer.  It is important to note that
cycling is a very safe activity for improving human health as it is very low
impact and can be undertaken by almost all people.  Cycling is a mid-range
cardiovascular exercise which improves blood lipid profiles, improves the manner
in which the body uses insulin, reduces weight and risk factors for
cardiovascular disease, strokes and maturity on-set diabetes.  While all
exercise is beneficial, cycling provides the greatest benefits with the lowest
risk factors among recreational activities.  This means that the risk of injury
while cycling is much lower than for other common recreation type activities
such as basketball and soccer.
    In the U.S. we are experiencing an obesity problem at an unprecedented
rate.  Obesity (defined as being over 30% above ideal body weight) increased
from 12% in 1991 to 17.9% in 1998.  The highest increase occurred among the
youngest population (ages 18 to 29), people with some college education, and
people of Hispanic ethnicity.  "Overweight and physical inactivity account for
more than 300,000 premature deaths each year in the U.S., second only to
tobacco-related deaths.  Obesity is an epidemic which should be taken as
seriously as any infectious disease epidemic," says Jeffrey P. Koplan, director
of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  It is much more dangerous to
live a sedentary life style than to cycle.
    Sincerely,
    Milnor H. Senior, III
    President - Bicycle Transportation Systems, Inc.