[sustran] Re: More on urban rail and transport problems in KL

Alan P Howes alanhowes at usaksa.com
Wed Sep 29 04:23:09 JST 1999

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:57:03 -0400 (EDT), Eric Bruun
<ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu> wrote:

>  I would like to know your reasoning how you think the public is
>getting more value for money from the present system. Fares are not
>low by northern European standards, yet service is inferior to most
>northern European cities.

As I said, I am including the taxpayer in the equation.

>the UK
>somehow thinks subsidies are a sin.

Depends if they distort the market too much - which IMO has much merit
in deciding transport priorities.

>  I think a distinction has to be made between planning and operating.

There's also policy-making, which is obviously a government
responsibility. IMO, given the right policy framework, and given that
all road users pay something approximating to true costs, network
planning is best done according to market principles.
--
Alan & Jacqui Howes, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Formerly Perthshire, Scotland)
alanhowes at usaksa.com
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/alanhowes/  [Needs Updating!]

*** A debt-free start for a billion people in the world's poorest  ***
*** countries - Jubilee 2000, http://www.jubilee2000uk.org         ***