[sustran] Re: urban rail and transport problems in KL

Alan P Howes alanhowes at usaksa.com
Wed Sep 29 04:21:33 JST 1999

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 19:56:05 +0800, "Lim Eng Hwa"
<katnlim at pd.jaring.my> wrote:

>Lim Eng Hwa replies : Could anyone substantiate otherwise, ie PT  and
>rail in Europe are doing fine? Any examples of a succesful privatised
>PT venture?

All I can readily lay hands on is the following;

"Number of [UK] Rail Trips continues to grow by 7%.
... between April & June, with 7% more passenger trips than in the
corresponding period in 1998.

Quoted in Local Transport Today (LTT), from a report by the UK DETR
(Govt. Dept.). LTT is a good, reliable data source for UK transport
info.

Also, I believe rail freight traffic is growing strongly in the UK
now, thanks to good management by the US-owned franchisee (and of
course, rail freight in the US is growing by leaps and bounds, with
lines being widened all over the place to cope with the demand).

Oxford, England, is an example of where UK deregulation had beneficial
effects, in increasing (privatised) bus ridership through competition.

>I quote from an address by Mr Wim Westerhuis, Director General of
>IRF Geneva Program Centre during a conference in Finland, June 1999
>that says..

The IRF's statements (on anything) cannot be taken seriously by any
transport professional. They are merely a lobby group for road
builders.

>A recent BBC report on the privatised rail system
> in UK carried the title - Trains unreliable, late and getting worse"

And don't take too much notice of the general media either. They are
not interested in good news.

>That is why I suggest a need for a comprehensive  financial and
>funding framework that has to be set up to ensure a sustainable balance
>between private and public transport mode, since ultimately it boils
>downto "who to pay for what ??". Perhaps a need for government
>intervention and not leave to the free market

But the trick is to get the government intervention right.

As far as Curitiba is concerned, here is all I have on my m/c at
present:

[I wrote]

[some else wrote:]
>Reprinted Scientific American
>(without permission)
>
>"..savings enabled Curitiba to keep its fleet of 2,000 buses - owned
>by 10 private companies under contract to the city - among the
>newest in the world.  The average bus is only 3 years old.  The city
>pays bus owners 1 percent of the value of a bus each month; after
>10 years it takes possession of retired vehicles and refurbishes
>them as free park buses or mobile schools.
>
>Companies are paid according to the length of the routes they
>serve rather than the number of passengers they carry, giving
>the city a strong incentive to provide service that increases
>ridership.  Indeed, more than a quarter of Curitiba's automobile
>owners take the bus to work.  In response to increased demand,
>the city has augmented the capacity of its busways by using
>extra-long buses-the equivilant of multicar subway trains.  The
>biarticulated bus, inservice since 1992, has three sections
>connected by hinges that allow it to turn corners.  At full
>capacity, these vehicles can carry 270 passengers..."

Cheers, Alan.
--
Alan & Jacqui Howes, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Formerly Perthshire, Scotland)
alanhowes at usaksa.com
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/alanhowes/  [Needs Updating!]

*** A debt-free start for a billion people in the world's poorest  ***
*** countries - Jubilee 2000, http://www.jubilee2000uk.org         ***