[sustran] Re: fwd comments on Brazil pedestrian situation

Jain Alok ajain at kcrc.com
Mon Sep 27 15:03:03 JST 1999

No amount of legislation or guidelines is helpful for pedestrians unless
there is a strong will to enforce it. A pedestrian is the poorest soul on
the roads (my definition includes sidewalks) who is being constantly
intimidated by iron monsters while the belching smoke is constantly killing
him. If the former spares the latter gets him.

In a number of countries even segregated sidewalks are not safe for them
because people on mobikes and cars use them for "shortcuts" on congested
streets (a common sight in Bangkok) or "parking" (list of cities too big for
this discussion group). And some of these cities have very flashy and
ideological "policies" towards pedestrians. Giving right-of-way to the
pedestrians at crossings is expecting too much in such circumstances.

Alok Jain