[sustran] From ITDP: Re: sustainable transport

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Fri Sep 24 09:49:40 JST 1999

This response bounced initially due to a small change in ITDP's email
address.

Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:37:57 -0400
From: ITDP <mobility at igc.org>
To: sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org
Subject: Re: [sustran] sustainable transport

Dear Deepika,

As a rule of thumb, one lane of road space in mixed traffic can generally
handle abour 440-800 persons per hour, if there are one or two people in
each vehicle, or about 400 cars per hour.  Any more than this and you have
very serious congestion.   On a motorway, a single lane can handle
generally around 2750 persons per hour, or roughly 2000 cars an hour I
would guess.   A lane or road with only buses in mixed traffic should be
able to move at least 10,000 people per hour, and 20,000 in an exclusive
busway, more on a highway or elevated structure.  In a high density city
like Bombay, private motor vehicles don't really make much sense.  Bombay
seems like a classic location for a Singapore-style area pricing scheme,
and I am sure this has been suggested by others.

Regarding air quality, the World Bank has done a reasonably good book on
urban air quality measures "Urban Air Quality Management Strategy in Asia:
Greater Mumbai Report" by Jitendra Shah.  You can buy it from the World
BAnk via their website at www.worldbank.org, or send an email to
books at worldbank.org, or you might contact jitendra shah directly at
jshah at worldbank.org.  It is weak on traffic demand management measures.

Best,
Walter

India Center (by way of SUSTRAN Resource Centre ) wrote:

> Dear Madam/ Sir,
> We have filed a public interest litigation in court against the
government asking for better traffic management and strong steps to be
taken to reduce air pollution in Bombay.