[sustran] Re: Bikes & Train Tracks

Kerry Wood kwood at central.co.nz
Thu Sep 23 14:00:05 JST 1999

Dear Gerry and Sustrans Members,

>I have been troubled by the dangers that bike riders
>>>face when crossing railroad tracks, particularly tracks that are diagonal
>>>and nearly parallel to the road. (original snipped)

The simplest solution might be to segregate cycles for the crossing, then
limit the crossing angle for cyclists by putting a dog-leg in the cycle
path. The Dutch cycle route design manual (available in English and
excellent value) calls for a minimum angle between cycle track and rails of
45 degrees, with a minimum track width of 2.5 m (to allow cyclists some
manoeuvering room).

The problem might be finding enough room for the dog-leg.

I don't know of any special compounds.

Kerry Wood MIPENZ, MCIT
Transport Consulting Engineer
Phone/fax + 64 4 971 5549
1 McFarlane St  Wellington 6001  New Zealand