[sustran] Re: urban rail and transport problems in KL

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Thu Sep 23 09:39:03 JST 1999

Dear sustran-discussers,
A response to my earlier piece on urban rail and transport problems in KL
(from the new Malaysian Transport list). I am pushed for time to respond
right now. Any takers?
Paul

From: "Kathy & Eng Hwa" <katnlim at pd.jaring.my>
To: <malaysia-transport at egroups.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:59:54 +0800
Subject: [malaysia-transport] Re: urban rail and transport problems in KL

Dear Malaysia Transport discussion list members

Although many, if not most, of the transport professionals are in favour of
promoting Public Transport (PT) and rail systems to combat the
ever-increasing onslaught of private vehicles, there is another school of
thought (as featured in the latest issue of World Highways) that says ....
" well, cater the need for private transport by building more roads.. it is
a classic economic case of supply and demand...".

The sad thing is that in most countries, eg Europe, the public transport
systems have always been cross-subsidised and are not able to "stand alone"
as a business venture. Even so, if I am not mistaken, the European
experience is that PT is fighting a losing battle as ridership for rail and
PT decline.

So, for it to be succesful in Malaysia and elsewhere for that matter, I
believe there is also a need for a comprehensive (and brave ?) financial
and funding framework that has to be set up to ensure a sustainable balance
between private and public transport mode, since ultimately it boils down
to "who to pay for what ??". Perhaps a need for government intervention and
not leave to the free market ?

Any comments ,  views , especially the pro-Keynesian advocates ??

Regards, Lim Eng Hwa

... my original message snipped ...