[sustran] Another Bus Driver's Duty Question

Alan P Howes alanhowes at usaksa.com
Sun Oct 17 04:14:24 JST 1999

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999 14:22:36 -0300, "Duarte Rosa Filho"
<duarterf at ez-poa.com.br> wrote:

>Take a look at the ILO home page: http://www.ilo.org.

Will do. Which reminds me of another question. Common practice seems
to be for drivers to be guaranteed eight hours work per day, with an
overtime premium paid on anything over eight hours. While I was in the
UK, the group I worked for changed this to a weekly (or perhaps even
monthly) guarantee, so that a long duty (run) one day could balance
with a short one the next. (Subject to minimum and maximum daily duty
lengths.) This saved a _lot_ of money, particularly at garages with
heavily peaked schedules. I don't know how widely this applies in the
UK today.

Anyone familiar with systems of this sort elsewhere?
--
Alan & Jacqui Howes, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Formerly Perthshire, Scotland)
alanhowes at usaksa.com
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/alanhowes/  [Needs Updating!]
PLEASE DO NOT SEND LARGE MESSAGES (>100kB) WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE

*** A debt-free start for a billion people in the world's poorest  ***
*** countries - Jubilee 2000, http://www.jubilee2000uk.org         ***