[sustran] Re: diesel price

ITDP mobility at igc.org
Thu Oct 14 06:00:44 JST 1999

Public Transit operators might also use the opportunity to press for cleaner,
more fuel efficient buses, rather than for continued fuel subsidies.  Perhaps
the government should provide capital grants for improving the condition of the
rolling stock, which would lower long term maintenance and operating costs,
rather than continuing to subsidize the fuel.  Simply buying new buses in
Hungary recently reduced their fuel costs by 40%, while reducing toxic emissions
by about 20%.  This would exactly offset the fuel price increase, while also
improve the air by having cleaner burning engines.

Best,
Walter Hook

--
Access ITDP's New Website: www.ITDP.org
The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy