[sustran] Re: Santiago communities launch international campaign

ITDP mobility at igc.org
Thu Oct 14 05:52:30 JST 1999

Good work!  If the project gets to the next stage, these private highway
companies will try to get financing from banks.  If any International financial
institutions like the IFC or InterAmerican Development BAnk, or any
International banks, like Chase or Citicorp, become involved, then we might be
able to help.  They will be sensitive to the very bad publicity we can
generate and also they will be nervious that the project will be tied up in the
courts by protesters.   We helped stop IFC financing of the Corredor Sur
Highway in Panama, and though financing is back on line, it is unlikely that
IFC would like to become embroiled in another similar ecological disaster.

I believe we mentioned your struggle in our new issue of Sustainable Transport
on p. 21.  You can download a copy from our website I believe.

Best of luck
Walter Hook

--
Access ITDP's New Website: www.ITDP.org
The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy