[sustran] Re: fwd: Campaign for ban on diesel cars

Roberto Verzola rverzola at phil.gn.apc.org
Tue Oct 5 13:09:55 JST 1999

 >contrary, they are all set to invade the Indian market with polluting
 >diesel  cars to cash in on cheap diesel prices in India. They are
 >ignoring  scientific evidence gathered in their own countries on the
 >toxic effects of  diesel particulates and the limitation of existing
 >diesel technology to  control these deadly particles.=20

I got the figures below from our Environmental Management Bureau.
It seems to me that gasoline engines also release pollutants although
of a different variety than diesel engines. Do these figures look
accurate; are there similar comparative studies elsewhere?

----------
c. Finally, below is the table of emission factors by selected types
of vehicles, adjusted for typical Philippine road and engine
conditions:

Emission Factors (gm/kilometer)

               Cars/gasoline       Jeepneys/diesel   Buses/diesel

SO2                 .123              1.268            2.535
NOX                2.70               0.99            13.4
CO                33.0                1.1             13.2
TSP                 .33                .45              .93
TOG                3.04                .30             2.9

Total             39.193              4.108           33.025

Source: EMB study, c. 1991

d. A separate set of emission factors was included in the 1984-85
report of the National Environmental Protection Council, as follows:

Emission Factors by Type of Engine (kg/100 gal fuel)

                              Gasoline       Diesel

Carbon monoxide              2,009.1         27.0
Hydrocarbons                   206.8         61.8
Suspended particulates           6.4         53.0
Nitrogen oxides                 40.9        100.9
Aldehydes                        2.0          5.1
Organic acids                    1.3         20.0
Sulfur oxides                    1.8         18.2
Lead                             3.0           -

Total                        2,271.3        286.0

Roberto Verzola
Philippines