[sustran] [Sustran] Integrated transport and paratransit

kisansbc at bom5 kisansbc at bom5.vsnl.net.in
Sun Nov 28 05:14:14 JST 1999

To,
Sustran-discuss

We refer to email of Ria Hutabarat dated 12.11 and
Paula Negron Poblete dated 05.11.1999.

Ref Ria's communication, we are not aware of research
or surveys on paratransport modes.  Autorikshaws ply
in restricted areas of Mumbai population 13 million area
434 sq km.  They come in direct competition with
taxies and pedestrians. There are no nonmotorised modes
of transport like cycle or human rickshaws.  Sharing
taxies are not to be found in Mumbai.

With reference to Paula's email of 03.11 we have been
trying as a NGO to relate land use planning in traffic programmes
for over 20 years.  It is difficult to get
the authorities to accept the relevance of land use planning
because of the interests of the politicians and administrators.
We enclose herewith our article on Mumbai's transport
written this week for a magazine.  It may give a glimpse of
the problems faced in Mumbai.  We would be happy to
provide further information or extend collaboration/support to Ria and
Paula in their work.

Kisan Mehta
President
Save Bombay Committee