[sustran] Re: Bangkok Transit System ('Skytrain')

tjb tjb at pc.jaring.my
Wed Nov 24 20:35:18 JST 1999

>From my own visit around that time: the extreme height is in part to clear
the elevated highways.

Having the pedestian bridges under the LRT is actually helpful, as
pedestrians have to climb less far. The preferred option would be to
incorporate pedestian crossings with stations, but the complexity of
separating paid and unpaid side persons makes this difficult - also
privatised systems are not driven to concern themselves about the needs of
pedestrians not paying for a ride!

And yes, escalators are being installed.

The broader solution in my view is to give up the street level to vehicles
and move all pedestians to the upper level in some of the large existing
urban areas. This was the concept developed last year for Kuala Lumpur to
provide an enclosed airconditioned elevated walkway covering the whole
central area (a total of 52km of walkway) and thus providing the final link
from public transport to final destination.
Tony Barry
Barry H S Sdn Bhd
Transit Systems

www.evalueco.com/barryhs