[sustran] Re: Bangkok Transit System ('Skytrain')

Jain Alok ajain at kcrc.com
Wed Nov 24 16:00:03 JST 1999

Craig,

The point you note is indeed a valid one but you have to consider the
peculiar characteristics of Bangkok "CBD" where the landuse is not
categorically defined. First of all, tell me what is considered as CBD of
Bangkok - Silom area or Sukhumvit area? I did some work few years ago as a
part of my masters thesis and used Silom as CBD (a number of people differed
in opinion). Both Silom and Sukhumvit has a high level of residential
landuse unlike Hong Kong and Singapore (I guess Tokyo too). This is one of
the reasons why parking ratios are higher in Bangkok CBD. High car ownership
does not necessarily mean higher level of car travel. Car ownership is a
reflection of affluence, nothing else but car travel is certainly an issue
which affecting sustainability of transport systems.

Again, I somehow do not agree that providing car parking in private
developments (most of the parking in question, I think) represent subsidy
from poor to the rich because if it were not car parking it would have been
something else (of course not for the welfare of the poor). The investment
in roads can be viewed like this. Providing high degree of car parking can
just be a waste of useful resources and uneconomic activity.

Having said all this (which is for the sake of arguments), I personally
think a lot needs to be done to manage the travel demand in Bangkok. This
transit system is just the beginning.

Alok Jain
Hong Kong