[sustran] More on Comments about the reply of Eric Bruun

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Nov 24 06:19:44 JST 1999

Paula, et. al:

In truth, I don't really have strong feelings about the Jakarta project.
I am somewhat being a devil's advocate because we hear so much about
how little rail transit does, and not enough about the upsides.

I guess I also realize that many slums are actually very dense, but
my implicit assumption is that these are not permanent and are not
really woven into a grand scheme of development that includes
limiting ad-hoc development on a perimeter. My use of the
word "density" is sloppy as I really mean limiting sprawl. Making
the big assumption that there will be a development scheme, rail can be
very helpful.

With that I will butt out.  Eric