[sustran] Re: Walter's Comments about the reply of Eric Bruun

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Nov 24 06:05:28 JST 1999

In my defense, I did say that I do not know the specific alignment
in Jakarta. I am not surprised if it happens to serve affluent
areas, just like new projects tend to do here in the US.

Also, it seems that I was on the mark about there being no support
for a Curitiba type system, no matter how much sense it makes. I
think the reason is probably simple -- the elite drive their cars
and don't want "their" road space given to transit. The same thing
is true even in the US.

So this puts us back at the original question: is it worthwhile
proceeding with these types of projects?

One more dimension we haven't mentioned so far is the fact that Metros
last indefinitely and will help many future generations, even if they
don't address the most urgent needs. New York, Paris, London, Boston folk
benefit from something started roughly 100 years ago.  Eric