[sustran] more on Subway in Jakarta

Eric Bruun ebruun at rci.rutgers.edu
Tue Nov 23 02:54:02 JST 1999

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 eric.britton at ecoplan.org wrote:

> Further to Paula Negron Poblete's good suggestion: "I really think that o=
ne
> way to make people prefer public transport is by making driving a real
> mess."
>=20
> Actually, I thought that this war had already been fought and won - at le=
ast
> at the level of our expertise here.  Since apparently I may have it wrong=
,
> let me summarize the state of the art/recipe as I understand it as we get
> set to meander off the stage of the 20th century:
>=20
> 1. You take that billion dollars you used to spend on building a new
> metro....

  The Metro benefits more people than highways do, and should not be
lumped together with it as an expenditure benefiting elites. Local content
and labor should be maximized to minimize the drain on foreign exchange
and to provide employment, but I still think that megacities need these
types of systems.

Rail systems also address the point below about space being needed
for non-transport use in the city. They are far more space efficient than
roads, even than bus systems, and do liberate space for other uses. =20
 =20